If you’re looking for a delicious sandwich that is super healthy, then this is the one for you! Balsamic vinegar has a lot of flavor and very few calories.The bell peppers are full of Vitamin C, A, and B6. The chicken has lean protein. It’s really good stuff.
You may know that I have a goal to lose 15 lbs by tax day. So it’s super important that I make easy, healthy meals for lunch. And they have to fill me up so that I don’t snack on the granola bars and licorice we have in the office.
With this sandwich, I prepared all of the ingredients on Sunday, and made enough for most of the week. At work, all I have to do is warm up the chicken and veggies, and put it on the roll. So far it’s worked great!
Balsamic-Glazed Chicken & Veggie Sandwich
- 4 tsp. Olive oil
- 1.25 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts, tenderized
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups red bell pepper strips (about 2 medium peppers)
- 2 cups sliced onion (about 1 large onion)
- ciabatta bread
- reduced-fat provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- fresh spinach leaves
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook on each side until lightly browned. Add 1/4 cup vinegar; cook until chicken is done and vinegar is syrupy. Remove chicken mixture from the pan cover and keep warm.
- Return pan to medium-high heat; add remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add bell pepper and onion; saute 7 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup vinegar; cook 1 minute or until vinegar is syrupy.
- Arrange chicken, cheese, bell pepper mixture, and spinach on ciabatta bread. Add pepper to taste. Wait a couple minutes for the cheese to melt. Then enjoy!
Have a question about the recipe? A suggestion to make it even better?
Comments are welcome!